Pageviews

Monday, May 13, 2013

MDIA 3110 Television Lists

Here are my lists:
1) Shows I've been watching since school is out
The Soup, The Office, Community, Archer, Bates Motel, Tosh.0, Hannibal, Survivor (season just ended though), The Following, SNL

2) Shows I watch sometimes because of others
Grimm, Touch

3) Shows I should watch
Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Dr. Who, The Americans

4) Guilty Pleasures
Adventure Time, Burn Notice, Suits

5) All-Time Favorites
Prison Break, Bravest Warriors, 24, Whose Line is it Anyway, Breaking In (cancelled, then restarted, then cancelled again...), Superjail!, The Amazing Race, Breaking Bad, Dexter, Everybody Loves Raymond, The Pretender, Get Smart

6) Shows that have fallen out of my favor
The League, Naruto, Family Guy, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Boardwalk Empire, Psych, Monk

7) Shows I resisted but now watch
The Office, America's Got Talent

8) Rather eat charcoal
Grimm, Glee, American Idol

9) TV shows I have actually stopped in the middle of to re-watch a section that I loved
Community- the moment when Chang first used his name as a pun.
Breaking Bad- Season 4 finale when Walter says on the phone "I won".
The Office- Michael Scott singing Happy Birthday all alone in the woods of Scranton.

Expand/Explain:
#1 Survivor: My family made a habit of watching the shows for the past few years. The show is like a family event that we share every week.
#4 Adventure Time: I feel a little guilty for this show because it's on Cartoon Network and younger kids watch the show. I think that I watch it because of its nostalgic principals and its different dialogue.
#5 Superjail!: I really think this is a good show because of its very intricate fight scenes and its very detailed scenes. I could go without some of the Adult Swim-esque humor but I still think this is a great show.
#6 Psych: I've come to find some of the humor and quick jabs irritating.

4 comments:

  1. I think Breaking Bad is definitely one of the better shows out there. It always keeps me interested and there is a really nice story too. I especially enjoy how there's so much character development. Especially with Walter White.

    I don't understand what is so interesting about Adventure Time sadly. I feel there's too much rude nonsense in it for me to actually enjoy it. The animation style also irritates me. It is too round!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chris,
    So, Ill start by saying, yes, you should watch the walking dead. It is a great show with a lot character development, as well, over the seasons. I love Tosh and SNL, I did not include these in my list, because i couldn't really find a place for them, but I watch both from time to time when there on. And one very interesting thing I wanted to comment about your list, compared to just about anybodies, is the fact that you started watching the office after Carell left, when most people stopped watching after he left. I know you prob watch a lot of re-runs and replay old episodes, but im curious if you've seen newer episodes and what you think of them? I know there definitely not better, but there not all that bad. My biggest problem I find is a lot of overacting now and characters trying to hard to make you laugh portraying themselves. (Kevin for example)
    Good list, very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I apologize but I have seen The Office before Carell left. I just sort of stopped when college came but now I'm all caught up on all the episodes, waiting for the series finale tonight, haha.

    I wouldn't call the post-Carell Office episodes better or worse actually, I would call them different. When it came to having Carell as Michael Scott on the show almost every episode's main plot line dealt with his character development. Because Carell took up the main focus the office employees got the secondary and tertiary plot lines. When Carell left all the characters of the show were fairly well developed but there was no prevalent main character to replace Carell. When post-Carell episodes began airing I believe that people left not only because Carell did but because they were confused at the plot. Since there was no main character I feel that the writers of The Office tried to switch around the direction of the show by giving more characters the main spotlight.

    The new direction did lead to more flamboyant actions from characters (as you said like from Kevin and others) but I feel that it also made the viewers more attached to more characters. In the finale I'm not only wondering what will happen to Jim, Pam, and Dwight (as I would if the show ran like the Carell era), but I am also wondering what will happen to Andy, Erin, Pete, and Angela. I feel as if The Office is a completely different show from when it started (in neither a good or bad way).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well put. Took the words right out of my mouth. Basically they have no main character now and they've moving the spotlight between people so much (Andy to Jim and Pam to Dwight back to Andy kind of) and this leads to not necessarily a bad Office, but like you said, different. SO basically anyone that just watched the office to laugh at Steve Carell, well they left when he did. Me, I got enjoyment out of all the characters and honestly Michael wasn't even my favorite. So, that's why I'm still watching,I guess, well was. HAHA (Finale)

      Delete